History on Wikipedia

Part of this weeks out of class and out of group assignment was to learn more about Wikipedia and how it does history on the web. Honestly, the Ted Talk video we had to watch really enlightened me on what exactly Wikipedia is other than a good place to get primary sources for research projects. Hearing about how this vast web site work is fascinating  in both a research and sociological sense. I also now think that Wikipedia does not always get the credit its due. Sure, anyone can go in and edit a page, but they make sure that there is enough manpower that keeps pages at its most true state.

In looking at various history pages on Wikipedia, I focused on the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and the Johnstown flood pages. In observing these pages, I find that both have a good amount of academic research put behind its creation. There are also pictures which are rather interesting and not always commonly seen (like hte caskets of the victims of the factory fire). Also, both pages discuss recent events, like the factory fire centennial anniversary last year in which the U.S.  Secretary of Labor  and Mayor Bloomberg spoke. Overall, both pages show a great chronology of what happened during that event as well as display its legacy. It really is a great example of how history is done right on the web because essentially, our web pages will be like Wikipedia pages in terms of the information we present, layout, and how we display our sources.